Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Honest in my dealings(?)

So I took my car to the dealer for an oil change. While there, I was informed by Travis that I really need the 60,000-mile service. My odometer is 57,800 miles. He went down a list of what that service involves--I sort of knew already. Then he said, "And that runs about five twenty five."

(Kind of a cute way of putting it, leaving off the word "dollars.")

I may have gasped or gulped. I said, "That's half a thousand dollars."

He continued to talk. "Well, you really need that because you didn't do the 30,000-mile service, only the 45,000."

I said I'd have to think about it.

When I got my car back and paid for the oil change, Travis continued his pitch. I said I knew of a guy who does service on Acuras and would probably go there. Travis said, "Find out what he charges and I'll match it."

He said it. I didn't.

Today I found out:
  • $400.
  • He has been in business 18 years.
  • Has worked on Hondas 35 years.
  • Only works on Honda and Acura cars.
  • Is very busy--I'd need to give him 2 or 3 days notice and make an appointment.

This is the guy recommended to me by a Honda owner who takes his car there.

I hated to do it, but I called Travis and told him.

He talked a lot, selling me on coming to the dealer. This after he said, "Okay, I won't be making any money, but I'll match it."

I am going to the dealer. Not that he sold me. That I had already decided to.

Should I feel bad for dealing thus?

2 comments:

queenann said...

Why in the world would you feel bad? I'm guessing that Travis IS making some money on it, just not as much as he normally does. Besides, he told you he would match it.

This makes you smart, not dishonest.

michelangelo said...

i'm with ann. completely. i see no need to even ask the question.