Saturday, February 23, 2013

Two bits

My friend who says "coherse" and "kioss" is making an afghan. At least, I think so. We spoke of crocheting and knitting and came to the subject of afghans. An afghan is what I started many years ago and haven't finished. I hasten to add that I had made others and finished them.

But to the point.

My friend's large crocheted work that she also has not finished is, in her word, an afigan. I have heard these things called africans, but hers is not that. It's an afigan. I know because she said it three times in the course of our conversation.

You think I'm a word snob. Well, maybe. I think I just enjoy this kind of stuff.

*     *     *
I went over to Caldwell Thursday to visit my friend. No one in the house. She and her husband are gone on a mission. Minnesota or Michigan, said her neighbor.

Okay. I'm happy for them and hope for the best. It's what he has wanted to do--he's a restless guy, you know--and so she has told me she wanted it also but not as much as he did. Of course, he wanted to go back to Russia, but the Church said no. Because of her.

The neighbor said, "She's not entirely well, you know."
I said, "I know. How is she?"

"Well," said the neighbor, "except for her dementia she's in good health."

On this mission they are supposed to be inseparable. That should mean she'll be safe. But perhaps he doesn't know how important that constant togetherness is for her just now.

It seems he went to the hospital for surgery a couple of months ago. He was gone a night or two, left her in the house alone, and didn't tell her. Or he told her and she forgot.  First night she roamed the neighborhood looking for him. Good thing a friend found her, took her home, and stayed the night until she (the friend) could get in touch with their son next day and find out what was up. Their son seemed irritated at the interference of the friend. I say, you're lucky she was there.

So, about this mission, she's the one with dementia, but I hope he remembers the inseparable part.

No comments: