Friday, February 8, 2013

What you might hear at the hairdresser's

Had my hair done today. Here's what I heard.

My hairdresser was talking to another customer about drinking, as in alcohol, and how young people are being led to believe that wine is good for them, and they should drink it. Both of them disapproved of that idea. So do I, but I said nothing because I wasn't part of the conversation.

As they continued to talk, they began commenting on the behavior of people who drink too much, or who get drunk. My hairdresser said, "I always say, 'That's when you're the smartest you'll ever be--when you have a few drinks in you.'"

Then they recounted the story of the 18-year old freshman at U of I who got drunk last month at a frat party, tried to walk home, and was found the next morning under a bridge. He got lost and froze to death.

The other customer told this story. Two friends went to U of I--it has a reputation as a drinking school, in case you didn't know. The two friends, girls, both entered fully into that life style, but before very long one of the girls decided that was not the life she wanted, so she quit drinking. Her friend tried many times to get her to start drinking again, without success. Finally, she said, "You're no fun any more since you don't drink." Her friend said, "Funny, I think you're no fun any more because you do drink."


No comments: