Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Old Neighborhood

I grew up in Santa Monica. On Ashland Avenue, 609. My friend Joe still lives on Ashland, 520. Same house he grew up in.

He sends out reports now and then. Keeps up with house renovations, changes in demographics, and trick-or-treat numbers. He sent this year's number: 15. Down two from last year.

Here is another part of this year's report.

"Back in the 50's, the enrollment at Washington Elementary school was over 400 students. [Joe and I went to Washington Elementary School from kindergarten through 6th grade. That would have been from 1945 through 1951.] Now the school, and its bridge-linked "East Campus", [sic] is closed, along with the John Muir School Elementary school at Lincoln and Ocean Park Boulevards. The remaining elementary school-aged population has been consolidated into new and smaller buildings on the site of the old army base at 5th Street and OP Boulevard. The "new" bridge over 4th Street to the "East Campus" is gone, and that facility's 6-classrooms have been leased out to a private children's school."

I don't know what private children are, but I know what Joe means.

And I love getting his reports.

Here is my reply:
"Joe,
Thank you for the report.
I was thinking of Washington School just this week and our Halloween costume parades and subsequent carnivals. Good times.

"My husband Wayne went to John Muir. He told of a terrible incident there. The kids watched, Wayne included, as their 1st grade teacher ran across Ocean Park Blvd--as they had been told not to do--and was hit by a big blue bus coming down the hill. She was killed. Not something you would easily forget."

Solemn note to end on. Nevertheless . . .

No comments: