Thursday, November 24, 2011

Duty

Yesterday I worked at the cannery--4 hours and 15 minutes. And, yes, I watched the clock.

Wouldn't you?

It's hard to stand in one place and turn pears over in the cans that are moving along a belt. Makes your back, legs, feet, shoulders, and mind sore. And if you get an itch somewhere, tough luck.

The pears are supposed to be round side up in the cans. Well, most ended up that way but many did not. Some got past me, and even got past the woman next to me, the end of the line woman.

The two young women on the other side of me were responsible for getting the pears into the cans. I thought that was easier, but it all has to be done fast.

There is no eating allowed on the line. If I thought ahead of time I might be tempted, I was wrong. And I certainly wanted nothing to do with the pear cobbler which was prepared for us workers to eat after our shift.

Here's the best part. It's over and I'm done.

No comments: