Saturday, June 1, 2013

Visit, not quite

I went to Caldwell yesterday to visit my friend who has dementia/Alzheimer's. They are home from their mission after only five months. Reports say the early return is because of her. I am sorry but not surprised. I suspect one hard thing for her was not knowing where she was, Minnesota not being familiar surroundings.

They were not at home yesterday. They were out helping a widow in their ward plant a garden, so my friend's husband told me when I called. I had not been sure it was still the right number, but it is.

So I spoke with her by phone. She seemed to know me, but I can't be sure. She said the same things about not being able to find my phone number, which may be a standard thing for her to say. Or it might mean she would like to call me, or it might mean she thinks I expect her to.

She asked where I live. I said still in Boise. She asked if I still lived in that beautiful house. These are things she might have said to anyone. She did not call me by name. She did not sound quite like herself. I wish she were quite herself, of course.

I said, "Are you okay?" She said, "Yes, I'm okay."

Stupid question maybe. Because do I really know anything from her answer?

I said I would come back to see her next Saturday and I would call first. My visit will not be to see how far down the dementia road she has traveled. Not entirely. Mostly it will be to keep in touch, let her know she still has friends. I hope she will know that.

No comments: