Tuesday, June 18, 2013

For the birds

Baby sparrows. They are squawking. And the parents are flying down to the ground and back up to the bird house with food. Many times a day.

A sparrow can fly from across the yard or from a neighbor's tree and go straight in that small hole--entrance to the nest--without stopping to make sure he doesn't crash into the house. It amazes me.

Mostly the babies squawk when the food comes. That has puzzled me. Because they are otherwise pretty quiet. Maybe the babies are jostling one another, trying to get the most to eat. Or maybe they're saying, "That was good but not enough. Bring more." I suppose they could be saying thank you. I doubt it.

One source I read says baby birds squawk to blackmail their parents into feeding them, and feeding them now. The loud squawks could attract predators. The babies know this. (Really?) So they know the parents will want to shut them up. Food will do it. That's what the expert says.

Anyway, sparrows are likely no one's favorite bird. They are so plentiful. But I watch every year and hope they'll come back and make that birdhouse their home. Yes, I enjoy them. They're right outside my bedroom window.

Probably you knew that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Do the babies "know" it, or is it an instinct?