Wednesday, May 8, 2013

So. What do you make of this?

In March I went to Pennsylvania for Willamina's birth. Stayed a week. The day after I got home I had errands, but my car was dead. I mean, it was deader than a you-know-what. Even the remote could not open the car door. 

After my neighbor, Ron, tried for more than an hour to get the battery charged up with no success, I called AAA. The guy came, got the car started and said I needed a new battery, said this one was wrong for my car, said it had been put in wrong. 

I drove to Firestone, where I had bought the failed battery only 10 months earlier. They replaced the battery.

Okay. You maybe didn't need all those details--but really, I left some out, you know--but it took most of the day to accomplish the car fix. No errands.

Okay again. Last week I went to Utah, Women's Conference at BYU with my sister Janeen. Got home Monday night. Tuesday morning, I could not check my email, go to Google page, do anything online. I called my son Andrew, the computer guy, did what he told me to do--all of which I've done before--but the modem didn't ever come back. You know, the lights showing you can go online. You do know about that. Right?

Called Cable One, my internet service provider, as we say. The guy, Eric, had me do the whole unplug the power and cable stuff again. No worky. So he sent a guy out. "He'll be there," said Eric, "between now and 7 p.m." Handy for me.

But John came at about 11 a.m. Checked everything again. Went outside and checked the entire cable, came back in with a new modem, and guess what. It worked.

So I went out and bought a new modem. Brought it home, installed it, and nothing worked. Called Cable One, got it all registered and whatevered, and thanked Russell, thinking I was all set. No such.

This morning I couldn't get anything online. Called Cable One, spoke to Nick, worked through a buncha stuff, and at last I am abled. I hope.

I think the real questions are these: Why and how do these things happen when I'm gone? And what will happen when I go down to California for my high school reunion? Or should I just not go anyplace?

It worries me, kind of.

No comments: