Friday, May 4, 2012

Learning the ropes, so to speak


It's the eight of us at the airport in Amman, Jordan. We're waiting for our flight to Cairo. We are among the thirteen who did not take the Nile River Cruise and for a while were regarded as somewhat less than legitimate by those who did take the cruise. They got over it, because we are great people, of course.

In this airport you will find restrooms. I used one, and it actually had toilet paper in the stall. In the public bathrooms you don't always find such a luxury. Once you have used the toilet paper, you may NOT put it in the toilet but must deposit it in the small basket next to the toilet. Then the toilet has a chance of flushing, but no guarantees.

Such conditions exist in all public bathrooms in Egypt, Israel, and Jordan. But our hotels were good.

The bathroom I used featured not one, but two "attendants." Muslim women who waited until you washed your hands and then handed you a tissue for drying. I learned later--you know, veteran on the tour--to refuse the tissue and walk out with wet hands. But at this time, I took the towel. The "attendant" held out her hand to me. For money, of course. I had a dollar in my pocket and handed it to her. She then pointed to her friend, meaning I should also give her a dollar.

I had no more dollars and said so, pulling my whole pocket out to show her.

By the way, having "attendants" in the bathroom did not mean the place would be clean. Just so you know.

Ann found another bathroom in the airport. No attendant. So she went free, pun intended.

Now, just so you know, bathrooms were a worry only occasionally. Know what I mean? But they in no way diminished the great fun we had and the wonderful things we saw. I just have to write about them, though. Don't you think?

In the picture we have me, Ann, Karen, Eric, Juliana, Kathy, Deanna, and Jeanie.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: