Wednesday, May 30, 2012

FYI

In the Amman, Jordan, airport I struck up a conversation with a Muslim woman. After a few minutes of her describing the difficulty she has traveling, "the extra hoops I have to jump through," I asked if she was Palestinian. Yes. She was going to Chicago to visit her son.

As we talked, pretty soon I felt like we were friends, so I asked her to read the sign above the nearby door--two lines in Arabic.

She reminded me that they read from right to left, and it is true I had been looking at those two lines from left to right. (Not that I could have read them anyway.) And I remembered seeing her read her book. What is for us the back of the book is for her--and all who read in Hebrew or Arabic--the beginning.

"Yes," I said, "I had forgotten."


A man from the FFL tour was sitting across from us, listening to our conversation. At this point he said, "Oh yeah, you people read backwards."

She--her name is Majda--said, "No. You people read backwards."

I liked it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I like it, too.
Sometimes we can be so arrogant that our way is THE way, and everyone else is "backwards," eh?