Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Today's stuff

Waste not, want not. You know the saying. Not always true, like today.
I wasted not. Used my going-sour milk to make bread. Good for me. In fact, good girl.

The want not part, it has failed, because I want my bread to taste good,but it doesn't. It seems to taste a lot like sour milk--duh--a taste I've never really liked, so why did I think it would be good in homemade bread?
I don't know.
Too soon old, too late smart. That one is true.

* * *
My neighbors across the street, the young couple, are having new windows installed. As we speak, so to speak. It's an old house, but they have painted it inside and out and are trying to make it look good and be a good home. It's working. I won't mention the lawn or the dandelions.

* * *
My other across-the-street neighbors are gone, maybe for a month. Took their travel van and left. They've been trying to do that for about four years. Dying relatives have stopped them.
Anyway, Jan said I should go over and pick her tomatoes, if I want. I do. They're cherry tomatoes. She also has some nice little roma tomatoes, which I like but not as much.

Jan also said I could water, if I want, while I'm back there. So Monday I did, not that I really wanted to but that it looked like the garden needed water, and I put the hose back the way it was. Today I saw that the hose had been left not the way it was, but I couldn't see that anything had been watered. So I watered again. And so I wonder . . .

Who else is going back there to pick my tomatoes?

* * *
And, oh yeah, as of Monday, my lawn, which had seen no mushrooms, now has two huge swaths of mushrooms, like Johnny Mushroomseed stopped by Sunday night and left his gift. I hate them. There must be at least 112 of them, and they grow bigger by the hour. I hate them. I said that.

No comments: