Saturday, September 3, 2011

Names I Have Known, Part 1


TeRonda, Frona, Enola, three sisters, whose parents’ thinking at child naming time I cannot comprehend.

The three of them lived together with their roommate, Raelene. “If you’d like to talk to someone with a normal name,” says their telephone tape machine, “you’ll have to dial a different number.” So at least their names have not dimmed their wits.

Enola hates her name and refuses to be known by it, preferring her middle name, Janae. Who can blame her? She was named after a B29 bomber—and her grandmother. But really.

TeRonda I might say is like many other Idaho girl names. I know a NorRene, a LaDonna, and even a GaNeal. I live in Idaho, but I’m not from here and do not understand such names. Clever? Not very. Unusual? Kind of, unless you’re from Idaho.

Frona also has the “We-made-it-up-ourselves” sound, or else they read The Hobbit, liked the sound of Frodo, did a little adapting, and had their sweet baby girl’s name. Did they love it? Hard to say. But Janae--that's Enola, remember--tells me Frona doesn’t.

No comments: