Sunday, September 4, 2011

Names, Part 2

I know that some folks like to make up their babies’ names (like Carleesha—yes, I know one, poor little thing) and their own spellings, just to give the child a name that has some uniqueness to it. I know a Jaci (pronounced Jackie), although I’m tempted to read it as Jaysee, and Brennon, but they call him Brent. And I suppose I ought to admit that my first name is spelled Alyce instead of Alice. But Alyce is not really all that over the edge, as far as names go. I’ve seen it many times on other people throughout my life. Besides, the look of Alice is all wrong, no personality, no depth, no mystery. And no offense to you if your name is Alice.

Names. They are our markers. Like our faces and our bodies, they go everywhere with us, and if you hate the name you’re known by on this earth, what does that do to how you feel about your whole self? It’s no wonder Janae refuses Enola, but it isn’t that she loves her name Janae, just that’s it’s not as bad as Enola. That’s what she says of it.

No comments: