Thursday, June 30, 2011

What Kind of World Is This? Part 2

A few weeks ago a guy came to the door wanting me to buy his pest control services.

Believe me, the above sentence is the bottom line, which I wish he could have drawn a lot sooner than he did. It's a condensed, very condensed, version of the very lengthy sales pitch he presented.

Trust me in this, I listened politely, then said, "Thanks, but I already have a pest control service and am happy with it."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really."

"Well," he said, "you have spider on your house." Then he left.


The other day, another guy came. Actually, it was after 8 p.m. when he came. He had a truck in the neighborhood, he said, and was just stopping by let me know about their pest control service. Vanguard, was the name.

I admit it. I broke in during his sales speech and said, "Thank you, but my house was just treated last week." This was true.

"Oh," he said, looking around at my house and yard hoping to find bugs, I guess. "Well, can I ask who does your service?"

I thought for a second, then said, "No." And with that I closed my door.

2 comments:

queenann said...

The first guy--he really zinged you with that spider comment.

Carol's Corner said...

Yeah. Brutal. Could not have hurt me more.