Thursday, June 9, 2011

What's in a name?

I bought a season ticket to the coming year of concerts by The Boise Philharmobic. And today I received a CD in the mail. It has some of last year's selections, chosen by Maestro Franz.

It came to Carol Scheiss.

So I called and got Holly. Because her name was Holly, I had a certain expectation. Like, she might be friendly, at least.

Silly me.

I thanked her for the CD. Then I mentioned the name misspelling.

Silence.

I said, "It's spelled ei instead of ie, kind of like me spelling philharmonic with a b instead of an n. That would be philharmobic. Not good."

What is your name? she asked, with no discernible intentions towards friendliness. You know, something about the tone of her voice.

Schiess, I said.

How is it spelled on the envelope? she asked.

I told her,"With ei." That's a repeat.

How should it be spelled? she asked.

I repeated, ie, and said, "When you spell it ei it means something--what your dog does on someone's lawn. Not good."

So that's iess? she asked.

Yes, I said. (And I just now thought to hope she includes the sch.)

Okay, she said. It's now corrected in our records.

Thanks, I said, and thought her name might just as well be Blanche.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Blanche from the Golden girls? But somewhere in the recesses of my mind I am vaguely remembering another, more air-heady Blanche from comedies of, maybe, radio times?

Carol's Corner said...

Blanche, because it means, sort of, blank. Bla