Monday, March 7, 2011

Watching the Sky

It's a cold, clear night here. I have just come in and my fingers are cold, hard to type. But I have seen something historic.

The International Space Station and the Discovery Space Shuttle passed over at 8:03. This is Discovery's end. That's the historic part. When it goes down this time, they won't be sending it up again. And I'm not sure why that makes me sad.

By the way, do they put those things in moth balls?

My neighbors Ron and Jan stood with me on my driveway to watch, expecting to see the ISS and Discovery still joined together, but they had already separated. Still quite thrilling to see.

Actually, I knew to go out because Jan called me earlier. So I bundled up in Andrew's big yellow coat, wrapped a scarf around my neck, pulled on some gloves and went out.

And while the two--very bright they were--passed right over our little Idaho neighborhood, another satellite, going the other direction, passed by also. Quite thrilling. I said that.

I wonder how many people are up there in space.

This is not the only night it will pass over us. We have it for two more nights. But this is the only night of the three we can see it because it's the only cloudless night. (I wonder if we'll have snow again tomorrow.)

Small adventure. Right? Depends on your perspective, I guess. Kind of a big deal for me, certainly worth going out to see.

No comments: