Thursday, December 2, 2010

Left Over

The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.
- Calvin Trillin

I love this.

It was not true of my mother. I think there were leftovers, but I think my brother got to them before she could re-serve. I am not kidding about this.

In fact, very soon after Wayne and I married--like two weeks--my brother came to our small apartment. First thing he did was open the fridge. I had leftover tuna casserole but some blood from the package of hamburger meat on the shelf above had dripped into it. No problem. He just ate it--cold--deftly forking around the blood.

(Don't get after me about this blood in the casserole thing. I was a working woman and only saw it that very day when my brother came over.)

When I had a big family, I did try to serve leftovers to them. I hated to waste food. But sometimes I left them over too long. Know what I mean? And just threw them out. Which I maybe should have done from the beginning. I mean you kind of know what you're not going to want to eat twice.

Two friends:
1. Dian never served leftovers, never used up refrigerator space with them. Whatever they--five kids, two parents--didn't eat at mealtime she threw away.

2. Margie could be "creative" with leftovers. She just was not going to waste food. So she sent them--whatever they were--as the filling in her husband's sandwich the next day. Oh yes, Chris said he had eaten more than one spaghetti sandwich.

I wonder if that was with or without mayo.

4 comments:

Lucile Eastman said...

Is that why Eric ended up with cold gravy sandwiches?

michelangelo said...

if leftovers get eaten at my house, it is by me. almost exclusively. not my favorite thing about my marriage. but if this is the worst thing, then i'm doing okay.

i'm in the mood for spaghetti pizza now.

Sarah said...

My mom said to me once, "It's good that your husband will eat leftovers," and only then did I realize that some people won't eat them.

Since I'm cooking for two, we often have leftovers. I am sometimes creative with them. We often eat them for lunch or dinner on a lazy day. I send them with him to work. And I even throw them away sometimes.

Carol's Corner said...

Oh Sarah, just look what you've learned.