Sunday, November 28, 2010

Conversation with my friend Vickie

Vickie: Are you going Thursday night?

Me: I bought a ticket, but it depends on the weather.

Vickie: Oh, I was going to ask if you want to go next Thursday.

Me: Well, if I go at all it will be this Thursday. Unless, you know, the weather. I guess I'm getting old.

Vickie: I know.

Me: Hmph! You're not supposed to agree with that. (Didn't say that out loud. Out loud I said): I'm not too old to shovel my driveway and walkway. I did that yesterday and again today. Good workout. But driving on ice is different, especially at night.

Vickie: I know you've always tried to stay fit and healthy. So have I, but I have so much less energy now.

Me: Oh.

Vickie: I still go the gym, still do the same workouts, but now they seem harder, and I just run out of energy.

Me: And the minute you stop and sit down, you start to lose it.

Vickie: True. There's not much to like about getting old.

Me: I have found one thing.

Vickie: What's that?

Me: You know more.

Vickie: Oh yeah, and you have wisdom.

Me: Yeah, I guess. Wisdom.

Vickie: Yeah. In fact I have so much wisdom that things I'm trying to remember have to wade through all that wisdom before they can get out to where I can actually remember them.

Me: So that's what it is.

No comments: