Thursday, May 22, 2014

It's only a lawn, but . . .

My mower guys are here: Carleton, Nick, and a new kid. I think his name is Trace.

They come every Thursday morning. I like the guys, and I have to say my lawns are looking much better. Much.

But if I told you what I pay them you would think I'm stupid. The one person I told, and I don't remember who it was, was stunned and now does think I'm stupid. Oh yes, it was my neighbor, Janice. Especially the part about signing the contract before I knew the exact dollar amount. Well, I thought $25 per week was it, plus a little extra for the grass seed and fertilizer and such. The extra turned out to be a lot. It's a long story.

I repeat, though, that my lawns are looking good, even lush. And the guys have put down seed and compost, and they fertilize the place, too. As they said they would.

Which the guy I fired last year failed to do. And they don't sit on a big riding mower and gouge out big chunks of earth and make parts of my lawn look like somebody came along and tore up the sod big time.  Which the guy I fired last year did.

Having my place look good is more important to me than you might think. Or, I don't know what you might think, really. But I like it to look like someone lives here.

Everything costs money, as you may know. I'll give them a year and see before I sign another contract. The way I figure it, if they do things right this year I should not need grass seed next year and, well, we'll just see.

No comments: