Friday, February 11, 2011

I Love My Country

Freedom. That's what they want. It's what everyone wants.

Today I heard a man speaking via skype to Lisa Mullens of NPR's The World. He is Iranian, opposes his country's oppressive government, and says America needs to know that not all Iranians hate America.

Yes, that is what his government wants people to think, whether they're in Iran or the US or Egypt or wherever. But those news pictures we see of masses of people holding hate America signs--they do not represent all the people in Iran, he says.

I am glad to know it. Very glad.

Iran's government called today's events in Egypt (Mubarak finally stepped down) a victory for Islam, a blow against America and its Satanic . . . whatever, the beginnings of another Islamic republic.

The man I heard on the radio says that is not how the people of Iran feel. They know better. They see it as the Egyptian people doing whatever they must to make their voices heard.

He will go out Monday to demonstrate against the government in Iran, although he knows he could be beaten (again) or put in jail or shot. He says he must put down his fears and go out because he wants freedom, for himself and for his country. I doubt the demonstration will be as large or as long as the one in Egypt. But I hope for him, for the others like him.

Even talking on skype was risky for him. He used a false name and could not speak very long. But the people of Iran have been inspired by Egypt and Tunisia, and they want freedom. So they will take the risks.

Do I need to say how thankful I am for freedom? for America?

No comments: