Saturday, January 9, 2010

My January Lesson

My friend Stephanie says snow is to play in. So she does. She takes her five-year-old daughter Maude outside and they play in it, making snow angels and snow men and otherwise having fun and frolic. I like her attitude. It's youthful and practical. She expressed it amidst complaints from others about snow and the difficulties it brings.

Thirty years difference in our ages, Stephanie's and mine. Those years and our circumstances could account for our differing views about winter. And I quickly defend myself: I'm not the only one who said things like, "Beautiful to see, hard to get around in." (One could wish to say something more original, more profound.)

But I take a lesson or two from Stephanie. Not that she set about to teach me.
  1. Make the best of what each day presents to you.
  2. Play more.
  3. Wear warmer clothes in winter. She didn't say anything about this, but I just need to do it.

No comments: