Thursday, January 21, 2010

And Now?

There's a fearful noise that comes with a heavy wind. Last night's wind was very loud as it hit the side of my house and rattled the awning on my deck. I became quite tense, getting up to open a door, relieve some of the pressure inside the house, if only mine.

I was afraid the wind might blow something off my house, like the roof. But it didn't. Monday's wind broke off a sizeable branch of my neighbor's cedar tree. It's lying in the street, nearly, just beyond my front yard, and I'm wondering if the trash guys will haul it off today.

Yesterday was the third, and maybe the fiercest, day of wind, turning what looked like a pretty day into a cold one. I've never liked the wind--The Great Equalizer, as I call it--so I'm glad it's over. Today is calm, bright, and warmish, which is a good thing. Weather does affect our spirits. Mine anyway.

Sorry to say it, but I can't help wondering what's coming after a day like this one with its comforting 50-degrees. After all, it's January 21st, quite exactly mid-winter. We'll have more cold, more snow, I suspect, and shouldn't be surprised by it.

For now, a person had better get outside and do some walking and some giving thanks while this day lasts.

1 comment:

Carol's Corner said...

About the trash guys hauling away the cedar branch, NO is my answer.

About the no wind today, think again.