Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Cereal Serial, I Have My Say

I don't know why my kids didn't eat the homemade granola. Maybe it was because it didn't pour out of a box. Maybe it looked too healthy. Maybe it was that once in a while I cut up dates and made them part of the granola--but not all the time.

It was healthy. But that is not to say it wasn't sweet. It had honey and sometimes pure maple syrup mixed in before the roasting. And so on and so forth. It was also delicious. Friends loved it, but they were grownups. And, I will add, my kids ate the cookies I made with the granola I made.

The big bags of puffed wheat were for Wayne G. He loved that stuff, that and puffed rice. Puffed wheat affected the odor of one's urine. Not in a good way.

If I have a rule, it is that I will not buy sugared cereals. I don't approve of them and furthermore I hate them, their phony taste. They can't be good for you. So, mostly, my kids didn't get to have them. Once in a great while--like every ten years--I would buy a box of Lucky Charms--I don't know why, probably for Richard--and I will buy an occasional box of Golden Grahams to this day.

I read of Ann's 12 boxes and think of what's in my pantry.
  • Shredded Wheat, yes the big biscuits, which, by the way, I would not eat as a kid.
  • Corn Flakes, only Kellogg's please. I don't like Post Toasties, never did, and please, no off brands. My sister Lucile, who in her maturity has limited her cereal consumption to corn flakes, does like Post Toasties, and she told me about the bargain she found, a box of Kroger's Corn Flakes for 99 cents. She bought two. Big mistake. It's no bargain if you can't eat it.
  • Cheerios. No fake brands, no honey-nut kind either. Just Cheerios.
  • Raisin Bran, Kellogg's or Post, but I will buy no other, not even Total Raisin Bran.
That's it. That's what I have, and I will not be able to eat it all before it gets old and stale. Not to worry, though. A grandson will usually come over and have a bowl or three, stale or not.

I don't like Kashi. It does a number on me, the flax, you know.
I don't like store-bought granola.
Total and Wheaties are just okay.
If I've forgotten anything it doesn't matter.

Hot cereal now enters the discussion. Hot cereal, which, in the home where I grew up, we called mush, no matter what kind it was. It was always sort of brown. I didn't like it much.

In our Schiess home, we used to have hot cereal occasionally, oatmeal most often because Wayne, their dad, loved it, or Cream of Wheat or Wheat Hearts. By the way, General Mills stopped making Wheat Hearts about five years ago. Too bad. That was one kind of mush I always liked. Once in a while we had Malt O' Meal, another wheat-based hot cereal.

Or

I'd make our own cracked wheat cereal. How popular was that? you ask. Well, I liked it, but I may have heard some kid call it crapped wheat. Could that be?

4 comments:

Lucile Eastman said...

Hot oatmeal, with raisins, Mama made. And Ster ate it cold when he got home from school

Carol's Corner said...

That's right, and it makes me shudder to think of it. Ster would eat just about anything cold. He came to our apartment once when we were newlyweds and ate the cold tuna casserole I had in the fridge, even though blood from a blob of ground beef on the shelf above had dripped down into it.

Carol's Corner said...

The ground beef was in a package, but it still dripped. Okay?

queenann said...

None of the three kind of Kashi cereal that I have right now contain flax. But it's still ok that you don't like it.