Thursday, March 13, 2008

Twinked

I’ve been wanting a Twinkie, of all things, for many weeks now. Save your breath. I already know it’s only sugar and fat, neither of which I need. Yes, it’s a “shouldn’t” food, and so I have not bought one. And one is the operative word. I only want one, but you can never buy one. I have known that from childhood. They come in a package of two. That is good, I guess, because it has kept me from getting a Twinkie and hating myself afterward, that and Albertson’s ridiculous price for a package of two, $1.79. Who needs it for that kind of money?

But today, when I came out of Honk’s $1.05 store, I saw that a new Hostess/Eddy’s Bread outlet had opened up two doors down. Here’s the thing. I never go to Honk’s. I don’t like it in there, but today I needed a cheap picture frame, and they had it. For $1.05.

Anyway, I went to the outlet store. I said to the nice lady who asked if she could help me, “Yes, get me out of here without a Twinkie.” She smiled in a way that made clear to me she did not understand. After all, why would a person come into a place like that unless she wanted to buy something? Good question.

I could have turned right around and walked out, but I went down the aisle. Twinkies galore, but $.75 a package was still too much for me, and besides, as I have already said, I only wanted one Twinkie, not two. Okay, I thought, it’s meant to be. No Twinkie.

About to leave unTwinkied, I looked up and saw that they had a manager’s special featuring a box of 10 Twinkies for $.99, and I, the bargain-loving daughter of my father, just about had to go for that. Didn’t I?

I reasoned I could eat one Twinkie. I argued against that, wondering how likely it was I would do such a thing. I reasoned I could give nine Twinkies to Lola and her boys, but they are all cutting back on their consumption of such foods. I reasoned again that I’m in charge here. I can eat just one Twinkie if that’s what I make up my mind to do. I quit reasoning and took the box up to pay for it.

And guess what! They gave me a second box free. That was the surprise special deal. Oh my. So now I have 20 Twinkies. And all for $.99. What a bargain. What a fix I’m in. Twenty Twinkies. Well, 19 now.

I did call Lola. She said, no thanks, Mom.

I could throw them away. It’s only 99 cents. Right? But I’m not going to. I have put them in my freezer, all 19 of them (okay, it's down to 17, but I didn't eat those other two). Happily, they freeze well. Lola said they do. She said, “Sure, Mom. Freeze ‘em." Then she said something about having a nice spongy treat for people when they come over. I think she was kidding. I have never offered a frozen Twinkie to a guest. Not yet, anyway.

6 comments:

Lucile Eastman said...

I see it and it looks great!

queenann said...

Mom. I don't believe in things like "shouldn't" foods. Just makes you want it more. And more. And more until you buy twenty. If you want it, eat it and enjoy it. And be done instead of wanting it for weeks and fighting yourself. But that's just me. I love this story. Cool blog.

Sarah said...

Less than five cents a twinkie! Pretty irresistible.

michelangelo said...

why not buy 2 for .75? saves you .24. then only one goes to waste, instead of 19. because let's be honest about the 19 in the freezer.

Carol's Corner said...

Okay, let's. There are 17 Twinkies in the freezer, but I only ate one. That seems important.

Phyllis Miller said...

Just buy a box of Ding Dongs next time. I will gladly eat those.