Thursday, March 20, 2008

Toothsome

Mama said, “Whatever you do, Janeen, hold on to your teeth,” hold on meaning keep them, avoid their extraction by some dentist who wants to sell you dentures, those fake teeth that never look quite as real as you hope they might and have been known to slip or become dislodged when the poli-grip wears off, and which, in Mama’s case, came partially out on purpose as she chased us around the living room or den when she wanted to scare us and make us laugh at the same time.


2 comments:

queenann said...

How about this...and I don't even know if I did it right:

It was the biggest thing I had ever seen, and when I say "biggest," I mean ugliest, like a three-day-old white-head in the greasy crease on a 14-year-old boy's face where the nostril meets the red pock-marked cheek, which is red because someone, probably a cute girl at school, has named the white-head "Hilda" and is calling it his girlfriend, but secretly the boy is flattered because it's the most attention she's paid to him all year.

Carol's Corner said...

Whatever. I like it. Good going, Ann. And as far as I know, it's right.