Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Same O, he says

I called my friend's husband today to ask if I could come over on Friday and take her for a short ride. He said that sounded good.

But first I asked him how she is doing. "Same o, same o," meaning same ol', same ol', or same old, same old. But you knew that.

After he said that, I couldn't speak for a moment. So he said, "She's no better, no worse." I am sure it's true, but I didn't like hearing it. Not that I expected she would suddenly be all better and herself again. Just that to put it in those words--same o, same o--sounded heartless.

I hope she will know me well enough to go for a ride with me. I hope she will feel like going. I would like to hope it will be a good thing for her. He'll get a brief respite while we're gone. That's okay, although I am less concerned with that.

So that is what I will aim for Friday, taking my friend for a ride.

No comments: