Thursday, January 9, 2014

Here goes

Somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago, I wrote this poem. It's based on my memory of something when I was very young.

Here I must explain that the poem is in no way expressing anything against my sister or my dad. And it only represents one small thing, not my whole life with my father. I wanted to write a poem, and when you write a poem you find a way to show what you're talking about.  Blah, blah, blah.

Obviously, I'm about to put the poem here, or I wouldn't feel the need for that explanation.

Daddy's Girl
Carol Schiess

In that window-walled
square room of yours
you play a fast clack clack song
on the L. C. Smith black keys.
Seated you are my height--
I can see the window's shine
on your head, my voice can speak
straight into your ear.
You do not look up
or stop your fingers
while I tell my request.
I think you must hear me.

In the flowered chair,
you hold my sister on your lap
as rain slaps the street outside
and runs down our long hill.
The lamp throws a yellow light
around you, yellows your head,
your teeth, your tongue as you laugh,
saying funny names, made-up words
whose meaning I guess at.
You touch her hair, her face,
call her china doll.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you - All the feelings come through to my soul.