Monday, May 17, 2010

WOW!

That's what Brian said today, kind of loudly, when I took my glasses back and asked for a refund.

Distance vision was blurry. It was that way when I picked them up, and I said as much to Angelina, but I thought I'd give them a chance. I gave them three days. This I explained when Brian asked me, "WHY?"

The WOW! came with a look of incredulity, shock, extreme disapproval, and a quick turning away from me.

Then he came back, having gathered himself, I guess, and began with the questions: Was I sure I didn't want him to check the prescription? Did I want to go over to their optometrist and have him check my eyes? Didn't I want him to take the glasses into the lab and see if they made them properly? There were others, but, hey.

I was sure.

You know, I've been through this stuff before--glasses not right, they'll make it right, no worries, etc., and I have three pairs of glasses in a drawer, glasses that didn't work and "they" could never make them right, and that cost me a lot of money because really I'm a nice person and didn't take them back for refunds--and besides, I just didn't have time to mess with this whole thing. I'm going to Canada. I have things to do.

I didn't tell him all this.

He walked away, got my paper work, came back and asked the same questions again. Take my word here, the same questions. It was like "I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're doing. I'm giving you a chance to rethink."

So. I should feel like I am doing something "wrong." I should repent. I should never bring my glasses back to Eyemart, and especially not to Brian, and ask for a refund.

Okay, I'm thinking it over.

Here's what I thought. No thanks.

His "Okay" was full of something like, "WOW!" all over again. He was not smiling. He didn't seem to consider me an old friend.

I was smiling. Truly smiling. I had made up my mind to smile before I went through the door into Eyemart.

Did I consider him an old friend?

Not really. It's more like I considered him the guy getting paid to be more courteous to me than he was being.

I thanked him. Sincerely. After all, I got my money back.

No comments: