Monday, May 10, 2010

Betty White, and isn't it a shame

In 1952 I was 11 and we lived in Santa Monica. Betty White had a local TV show, "Life With Elizabeth," co-starring Jim Backus. I loved the show, and I loved her. From then on I have liked to see her in whatever role she has played; even the stupid skits on Johnny Carson were often funny. She's good, fun, smart. And, for the record, I excused the occasional suggestive humor, the not very subtle double entendre stuff.

Now she's old, 88, but she is not dead and neither is her career. I have liked her in her occasional TV appearances, and I liked her in The Proposal. So it was logical that I watch as she hosted Saturday Night Live. Of course, I have seen the show, but it is generally vulgar and stupid, so I do not watch it. And I should have known because of the over-hype about it.

I did feel some apprehension, because I figured the writers would hardly change just because the host is someone I like. Right I was to be apprehensive. She even said the F word. Why? Just to prove she could? Ridiculous and quite disgusting.

Vulgar? Yes, and beyond the merely suggestive. And, really, those are all old jokes, if you can call them jokes.
Stupid? Very. And no imagination exhibited by the writers. I mean there are other themes that could have emerged beyond that of her age. Aren't there?
Funny? Not in the least.
Disappointing? Well, yes, because I expected she might be a cut above the crap. But she isn't.

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I did give it nearly a full hour.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Did you like her in the Golden Girls?