Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer Squash

My neighbor, Jan, came over the other day with a big zucchini. No need to say how big. We've all seen one. Heck, most of us have grown at least one in our own gardens. It's the squash that somehow stays hidden until that moment when, stunned and frightened, we see it. Yikes! We pick it in a hurry before it takes over the world and dash over to our neighbor's house in a gesture of generosity and good will. Sort of.

Well, she did ask if I could use it. I lied and said yes. So now its permanent home is on my kitchen counter. Apparently. Until I do something with it or throw it out. And I hate to throw it out. Thus Jan's burden has become mine.

I used to de-seed the big ones, then grate them up and freeze the pulp (unattractive word) to use in zucchini bread or zucchini chocolate cake, which were always very good, and my children liked them . . . unless they saw the green things and were grossed out.

Anyway, I don't make that stuff anymore. Anybody need a big zucchini?

1 comment:

Lucile Eastman said...

No Thanks! I can grow those myself.