Monday, March 4, 2013

I'd like to know

What, exactly, is the fake owl supposed to do? I have moved mine from the railing around the front porch, where it has sat and fallen and been blown from, for several years.

Did it frighten the squirrels? I should say not.

The flickers? The crows? The cats? Raccoons? No.

I moved it because I wondered if it did scare away the finches that used to nest in my Christmas wreath. But it has been years since they came, and I'm sure they have found other places to live. They don't care that I miss them..

So I believe the finches won't be coming back, but I have left the wreath up, just in case.

About the owl: I have put it on the deck in the back, but I have left it down on the floor. I suppose I'll have to get out there and stick it up on the railing, tie it to the post, and hope it stays. Its head moves and bobbles, you know. Is that scary to any animal? Apparently not.

It, the head, also comes off and has done so many times, which maybe frightened my granddaughter the first time she saw it. But her I want to come around.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fake owls don't work. My Phoenix son has one on his spa at his pool to keep the doves away - it doesn't really work. Here is a fun site to go to for silly comments on the subject. The best one is: install a motion-activated irritating dancing Santa Claus. http://www.permies.com/t/14637/predators/Owl-Decoys-work