Thursday, January 24, 2013

Just another weather gripe

I suppose there are other things to talk about. I suppose. But I can't be sure because it's the weather everyone is talking about. We've had winter before, like every year, but not like this one. And we're sick and tired of it. I know, tough toenails.

Now, today, after zero degrees and below every morning for, like, 10 days, it has warmed up. It's in the 20s. That should rate a hooray! but it doesn't.

Why?

Because we had a freezing rain over night, and every surface I've been on outside--including my own driveway and the roads to my little gym and their driveway and walkway--are slick, treacherous. My ABS brakes went dut dut dut dut dut every time I stopped. I had to hold onto my car as I made my way to the sidewalk by the door of the gym. And when I left, my car slid sideways just turning from the FitClub parking lot to the driveway that leads to Apple Street.

Even the ducks were slipping and sliding as they walked across the road. And that's not funny.

As I went carefully along Apple toward Boise Avenue, where I turn left, some guy in his big red pickup with big lights and big wheels came barreling down upon me just as I was saying, "No, I'm not going anywhere else, if I make it home." He paid no attention to my speed. Guys in big red pickups fear nothing, not ice, not old women in the cars in front of them. Thank goodness I could move into the turn land before he drove right over me.

I made it home, and my neighbor called to say, "You went out?"

Every school district has closed for the day, even College of Idaho. Except Boise and Meridian School Districts. And why they didn't close I don't know.

I know. This is enough.

No comments: