Wednesday, March 28, 2012

This and That

It rained in the night. Again.

After a brief respite, it's coming down. Again. This time it isn't rain. I'm saying it's hail, because it bounces. Something warms up there and usually turns hail back into rain. So I expect that will happen soon. Not a day for a walk. Not a day for going out much at all.

Fascinating, huh.
* * *

We have the new Westside Drive-In over here now. Such a reputation for great food, you wouldn't believe. Well, Lola and Clayton and I went there the other night. Great? No so far. My soup was fine, nothing special; Lola's salad must have been good because she at it all; Clayton's double something hamburger was huge. Does that mean great? Not to me. I'll have to back and order a signature dinner some time. Maybe.

* * *

Betty, my visiting teaching companion, is 91. She still drives herself all over. Certainly has her wits--which are considerable--about her. Is outspoken to the max. But, hey, she's 91, and I am pretty sure she doesn't much care what folks think of her any more. If she ever did.

When you meet someone after she's already in her 90s, you can think she's just an old woman. But Betty has been places--Taj Mahal, for starters, and Greece, and so on and so forth. And she has done things, raised a family, known people. It's good to find out these things about old people. Know why?

So we don't dismiss them as irrelevant.

Betty gave me a gift for my upcoming trip to Israel. It's a travel journal. And she told me if I didn't want it or like it, she would be happy to take it back. I told her I loved it and would think of her every day as I write in it, asked her to sign it. She was very pleased.

I'm not so dumb.
* * *

We're supposed to bring snacks with us on this trip to Israel, in case we don't get breakfast some days. That has Ann worried because she does not like to miss breakfast. Can't say I blame her. It has me worried because a) I don't usually have to pack food; b) most snacky foods have too much sugar in them, and I'm off sugar; guess I'll be on it in Israel; c) I'll probably take too much. That's my style. Too many clothes and now too much food.

1 comment:

queenann said...

I think it's lunch we will sometimes miss, not breakfast.

I don't like missing any meals. Am I odd in that way? I'm not pleasant to be around when I'm overly hungry. I'm like a little child in that way.