Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Helms Man

Still haven't reached Aliie.

But I'm sure she remembers the Helms Man. He drove through our southern California neighborhoods, too. His truck was yellow, his call a two-note whistle. (Two notes that sounded at the same time.)

Helms Bakery was a California company, started in 1926 by a guy named Helms. The company lasted until 1969.

I remember going to the bakery itself with my mother--it was in Culver City, not far south from us. That was kind of a wonder-ful thing for me, because I loved the little truck and always wanted something from it.

It was actually Helms Olympic Bakery.

From the truck you could buy bread and baked goodies--cinnamon rolls, cookies, doughnuts, coffee cakes, cupcakes, I would guess, and probably Danish, too.

I used to like those little right-to-your-door things.

Not now. When those guys come around and tell me they're just in the neighborhood and would I like to buy a bunch of meat, I can't go for it.

And when I say no, they usually ask, "Don't you like steaks?"

I just say no, thanks, although I'd like to say, quoting my husband, "What's it to you?"

No comments: