Thursday, January 19, 2012

What goes around comes around, eventually

On my way to Curves this morning I stopped at the red light at Boise and Apple. There's a bus stop on that corner, and a young woman stood in the rain (she had an umbrella) waiting. I thought to stop and offer her a ride but was in the wrong lane.

I went down the street, made a couple of turns, then came back to where she was. By then a young man had arrived. I offered them both a ride while the car behind me honked. The young man refused. She accepted. I took her to BSU and learned she comes from Kodiak, Alaska, and is in her second semester at BSU, a Sociology major.

I dropped her off and headed down Broadway to Curves. Stopped at the red light at Boise and Broadway, then proceeded on the green light. I saw the police car pull out back behind me, saw the flashing lights, said to myself, "It can't be me; I'm going the speed limit, under it, in fact."

He kept coming. "It's me," I decided and turned in at the Curves parking lot. He followed.

Did I know how fast I was going? Yes, I thought I was going 35.

"You were going 32 in a school zone with a crossing guard and those flashing yellow lights."

I must have accelerated fast. I didn't think I had reached that speed until down by the LDS church. But I didn't say that to him. To him I said, "I'm sorry."

He took all my documents. Five minutes later he did not give me a warning.

I have just written the check for $151.50 to Magistrate Court.

No comments: