Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Just Don't Know

Someone who read my poem last week spoke to me about it. She liked it. That's always good to hear. I told her I like it, too. Then I said, "It's getting harder to be creative."

She said, "That's because you know too much. You've seen too much."

I think my response was something like, "Yeah. Probably so." And she may be right. Stuff gets stacked up in the brain. Hard to sort it out, I guess.

But, actually, I was thinking that the more I know/see, the more creative I ought to be. That's what makes sense to me. Doesn't that make sense to you?

Maybe she was just saying--in code--that I'm too old. Getting old renders a person not so creative. Well, maybe it wasn't in code.

I don't believe this is necessarily true, and we have many "old" creative people as evidence that it isn't. Just give me a minute and I'll think of one.

Anyway, lend me your thoughts, if you're not too old to have some.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I loved your poem. I have thought about it frequently, gone back to read it again. Several reasons for this: I know you and like you, I know the place where you are walking and can picture it, it's just a darn good poem. About the loss of creativity-- I certainly have felt it, but that's because I haven't really had it at the top of my list for quite awhile. I do love it when it comes, though! I just wrote a blog that was fun. And than makes me ask you, what is your definition of creativity?

Sarah said...

Maybe the more you know, the more you are boxed in by knowledge. Maybe if you know less, you make up stuff more.

Carol's Corner said...

Thanks.