Friday, July 23, 2010

About My Very Own Face

When I was 13 and feeling pretty good about myself, Bob Carroll, who was also 13, "liked" me. You know.

We went a few places together, or he would latch on to me at a school dance, or he would walk me home from school and just stay a while. You know.

He didn't know that while I would always be polite and friendly to him, he had no chance with me. You know?

One afternoon, as we sat on my porch swing, he began to declare his feelings for me, as only a 13-year-old can do, I suppose. And I suppose you know.

He said, and I quote, "You're not the best looking girl I've ever known, but there is something about you . . . " and, frankly, I don't remember anything else he said.

The first part--and I'm quite sure he meant my face--was no doubt true, but he did not need to say it. Think about it. Did he need to say it?

I will not here go into the impact of such a thing on a girl. But probably you can figure it out.

The second part is also no doubt true, and I guess it was a compliment. I tried to see it that way.

Difficult, though, coming after the first part as it did.

2 comments:

michelangelo said...

"you're not the most attractive girl i've ever dated. i mean, i have dated some absolutely beautiful, gorgeous women."

Lucile Eastman said...

Which is worse, that or "you're a spiritual giant"?