Saturday, July 11, 2009

Saturday Morning

I hear on the radio the price of gas is coming down--no, has been coming down--because crude oil is down to $60 a barrel. So far Boise prices have come down four cents. "Has been coming down" seems to indicate a longer time and more than a one-time four-cent drop.

There is a portable toilet now on the greenbelt. I don't want to use it but need to. However, the sign says Please be Courteous This facility is reserved for handicapped individuals.
I don't go in.

Seven ducklings ride the river current, parents close behind.

A couple with three big dogs take them right to the river's edge. No plastic bags. Makes me mad.

Two guys on recumbent bikes nearly run me off the greenbelt. Funny they don't see me; they're riding straight at me.

The butcher at Albertsons passes on his bike, "You're out early," he calls to me. "Yeah, feels good," I answer. He's from Virginia. We sometimes chat about Virginia because I've been to Alexandria, where he's from. Alyce lived in Alexandria. Nowadays he tells me about the wonderful place he and his wife have here in Boise. "You should come and see it," he says.

Yes, red-shafted flickers do eat from the ground.

I think of my friend Vonda, who has moved to Minneapolis. We took many walks together that summer she studied for the bar exam.

Three geezers greet me as I step on the path that leads to my car. One speaks, "Well, good morning. How are you this morning?" They're nice, though. No looking me up and down as geezers are apt to do. Maybe a quick glance was all they could handle.

George out walking, not quite up to his former speed. But neither am I moving very fast these days. At least not yet.

I have a story in my head and want to go home and write it.

No comments: