Monday, April 13, 2009

The Thumb Generation

Let's see. How to put this.

I am fed up with kids and their constant texting. It doesn't matter what's happening, who's speaking, and I don't think it would matter if someone were dying, when that little thing in their pocket or hand or lying next to them on the church pew buzzes, they're on it. Thumbing away.

They are slaves. Willing slaves, I guess, but slaves anyway. This little plastic box is their master, their all-time bf, their whole life. Heaven forbid they might go somewhere without the "phone." I've seen that happen, and the kid had a meltdown panic session. Some fun way to live.

No need, I suppose, to suggest that the whole phenomenon is RUDE.

There. I think that's direct enough.

P.S. Yesterday, a guy driving on I-84 at freeway speeds was texting while driving and plowed into the back of a highway patrol car stopped on the shoulder. Totaled both cars. Good that the officer was not in his. Don't try to tell me this guy is the first person stupid enough to be thumbing while driving. By the way, he's 37, no kid, but he makes the point.

1 comment:

Cory Sue said...

I agree, texting makes me want to throw peoples phones against the wall. When potential dates text me I call them back, what is the big deal with just talking on the phone? I don't understand