Thursday, March 5, 2009

Worry

I have told my children not to worry, but, apparently, I have not taught them not to worry. They worry, like me, like their grandmothers, perhaps like their great-grandmothers. And, yes, like their dad.

Worry never fixed anything or solved any problem or helped one living soul. But it is part of our humanity and of our genetic identity. Some of us, anyway.

As for me, I keep trying not to worry, because I truly understand about it--its uselessness, its wastefulness, its harm of our peace.

But, you say, there is always so much to worry about. I say, "my point exactly." All the worrying in this world has not changed that.

I have told my children, and myself, it is foolish to get down on your knees and ask the Lord's help, then get up and shoulder the worry again.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

This rather preachy posting is for me, obviously. A reminder.

1 comment:

Wayne Schiess said...

Come on now. Sometimes worry motivates you to take action instead of being passive. If I'm worried about not having enough money, I get motivated to get a second job or seek a promotion or whatever, right?

Worrying about things you can't do anything about, that's the (my) problem.