Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Challenge All Right

I've been challenged by my daughter Alyce to do the Biggest Loser Spring 2009 Challenge with her. Or, as BL puts it, CHALLENGE! Makes me think of our public library. The sign on the building says LIBRARY! I guess the ! means we'd better be serious about it. I try not to smile in the LIBRARY!

I think I'm taking the CHALLENGE! seriously, but it's only one day so far. Hard to know if I've established a trend.

What it means is that I'm earning points for everything I do and don't do--according to BL standards--right during the day. A point for not eating sweets; a point for no soda; a point for eating "5 servings of fruits/veggies" but no indication of what constitutes a serving; a point for drinking 64 oz. of water, but I think drinking that much water should be worth more than one point. Maybe a point for every time I have to visit the toilet. But that's not the way the BL people see it.

Yesterday I got 7 out of 8 possible points. I didn't take a vitamin. But I did get 7 hours of sleep and did do 30 minutes of physical activity, although they call it a workout. I walked for 50 minutes and claimed a point for it. I hope that's legal.

At this moment I'd like to protest that I am not fat. But obviously I am or I wouldn't have accepted this challenge. I need to lose about 8 pounds so I can buy a nice black dress, which is what I am to wear to Alyce's wedding reception (45 days away), and look decent in it. Eight pounds doesn't sound like a lot, but I've already shed eight pounds--pre BL CHALLENGE!--and, having done that, sat down and felt complacent and began to think I could eat out any time I wanted and eat whatever I wanted.

If you've never needed to drop pounds you don't know what I'm talking about.

It's 11:30 a.m. and I have had about 12 oz. of water. I'd best get busy drinking. Take my walk first.

No comments: