Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Something or Other

Last week I heard someone say, "The days go slowly but the years go fast."

I thought if you said that to a young mother with kids at home, she would likely believe only the first part, especially on those hard, long days.

An older woman, whose children are gone, would know the truth of the second part, might remember only partially the first part, maybe even wish to have those slow long days back.

I remember my mother telling me to enjoy these days while my kids are young and at home. I was always busy, working hard, trying to keep up with everything and everyone--seven kids, remember, not to mention a husband. I thought she must have forgotten a lot. Some days, not all of them, mind you, just some days were hard.

The truth? I did not want her to say that to me. It just felt like criticism, disapproval, and I believed I was doing my best. Did I learn from that? What not to say to my children? I'd like to say, Of Course I did. But I likely didn't. Now I know the message was a true one--I should enjoy my children while I had them near.

Well, I did. But I still had a lot to do. All the time.

Whatever, as we say.

*     *     *

The Gordman's near my home is going out of business. I didn't shop there much but once bought a lamp for a decent price--yes, a cheap lamp. So yesterday I went, bought another cheap lamp, brought it home, put in a bulb, and guess what. It didn't work. I moved the lamp around through the air (as if that would help), fiddled with the cord, and got a flash of light. I turned it off then on again. Nothing. Again on and off, again the flicker. I checked the switch, the cord at the bottom, where it attaches to the lamp. No light.

I took it back, even though I had been told and had read All Sales Final. I thought surely they would take back a faulty (no good, not working) lamp. 

You guessed it. NO. Manager told me four times there was nothing he could do. I'm mad.

No comments: