Monday, July 16, 2012

Sometimes some people do hard things.

Hezekiah's Tunnel is now a tourist attraction in Israel, but it didn't start that way. Its purpose was to divert the water from Gihon Spring to a) keep the attacking Assyrians from cutting off Israel's water supply; and b) to ensure that the Assyrians did not get that water for themselves.

The digging of the tunnel was close to miraculous--through solid rock, of course, far below the city. Two teams of men dug and finally met to complete the tunnel. One third of a mile.

I do not have pictures of the tunnel. I didn't go. But just let me say this: it is not lighted, not wide or high, not straight or easy to get through, and once you're in it, you cannot turn back. It was made for water to flow through, not people.

I have seen it, though, on You Tube. You can see it, too. Google Hezekiah's Tunnel. It's a fascinating story. And the narrated tour through the tunnel is worth thousands of my words.

I do have pictures of Ann before she traveled down to the tunnel and walked through it. By the way, a) it still has knee-high water in it, and we're talking about--what?--2800 years ago; and b) as the man said on You Tube, if you're claustrophobic, this is not the place for you.

Ann is very claustrophobic, so her walk through the tunnel--20 plus minutes--was remarkable and a high point for her. I can only tell so much about this. Ann will have to tell the rest.

The pictures:


Christel, Tina, Ann with their flashlights, before going down, way down, to the tunnel.

Ann comes up the final steps after traversing the tunnel.

No explanation needed.
My post script: I love Ann. I am proud of her.

1 comment:

queenann said...

I know somebody else who did a hard thing once.

Not all hard things are voluntary.