Friday, May 6, 2011

Speaking of Birds

My finches used to build their nest in my Christmas wreath but stopped--and I never knew why until someone suggested the fake owl I put out on my porch railing scared them away. Duh, Carol.

About three years ago they began making their home on the east side of my house, somewhere close to my writing room.

I hear them each year as I sit at my computer, and I heard them today, the babies asking for food.

I have not seen them, but I know them, and soon they'll fly off and leave the nest.


* * *

The Spanish word for avocado is not, regardless of what you might expect, avocado. I don't know why, since the word appears to be a Spanish one. But no. The word for avocado is aguacate.

from Wikipedia, and it could be correct. Hard to know, though, since their article on my brother insists on using the wrong first name for him. Which has nothing to do with avocado.

"The word 'avocado' comes from the Mexican Spanish aguacate which in turn comes from the Nahuatl word ahuácatl (testicle, a reference to the shape of the fruit).[7] Avocados were known by the Aztecs as 'the fertility fruit'. In some countries of South America, such as Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, and Uruguay, the avocado is known by its Quechua name, palta. In other Spanish-speaking countries is known by the Mexican name and in Portuguese it is abacate. The fruit is sometimes called an avocado pear or alligator pear (due to its shape and the rough green skin of some cultivars). The Nahuatl ahuacatl can be compounded with other words, as in ahuacamolli, meaning avocado soup or sauce, from which the Mexican Spanish word guacamole derives.[8] It is known as Butter Fruit in parts of India."

* * *

The moon is a waxing crescent, 12% of full. I knew you'd want to know.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What is his first name? I will correct it.