Thursday, June 25, 2009

Talk About Small Talk

What is worse than small talk? I will tell you. It's small talk from someone using that professional, I'm-a-nurse-and-I know-everything-and-besides-I'm-such-a-sweet-person voice who will not shut up while she's giving you a breast exam prior to your mammogram.

Do I look like I need that? Is it part of their training? Probably. Just SOP to distract the old women who come in for this hated annual check-up, but I must say it's a near-deadly combination. What you have to put up with is bad enough. I mean, breast exam, mammogram. Come on! Then you have to deal with small talk.

Actually, the nurse wasn't as bad as the technician who womanned the machine. I don't remember what she was saying, just stuff that was supposed to make me chuckle and feel loved, but if I hadn't looked up now and then, I would have thought Barney the purple dinosaur was running the machine. It's that fakey I'm-very-nice voice. Know what I mean? Is there someone in this world who actually appreciates that?

Funny, I heard the two of them whispering and laughing while I was getting dressed. They sounded normal. I could have used normal.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't like small talk either. And I'm not very good at it. I don't know which is the cause and which is the effect, though.